Sunday, March 18, 2012

Match Day



Match Day will be one of those days I'll re-live over and over again. It was such an exciting day with so much energy filling the room of 40 med students and their families waiting to find out where they are destined for residency.  The class truly came together that day. 

The theme was St. Patrick's, and some dressed beyond expectations ;-)

 

The letters were placed in a glass bowl and drawn at random until everyone received a letter. Once everyone had a letter, there was a countdown to open them. Do you know how hard and nerve-racking it was to have that unopened letter just sitting on the table??

Dr. Greenburg and the Dean congratulating him

post-match interview
The emotions I have felt in the past 48 hrs I cannot even begin to explain. Sheer joy. Hope. Awe. Disbelief. Extreme pride. Excitement. Randomly, I find myself holding back tears because I just can't believe it.

He did it. Blake matched into his #1 program at Boston Children's of Harvard!!!!!!! Not only that, but he got into the Urban Health & Advocacy track he wanted.  This will open up opportunities for him to work at a continuity clinic for refugees and pursue his interest in international medicine. Dr. Paul Farmer, the man who inspired the book "Mountains Beyond Mountains", comes out of Boston and Blake could potentially train under him. Let me put it another way... that's like saying you want to pursue cycling and you are given the privilege to train under Lance Armstrong.  Amazing, right? 



One of the most touching moments of Match Day was when Blake told one of the faculty that he got into Boston and Dr. Greenburg responded with tears and a heart-felt bear hug. You could just tell on his face how proud he was and how excited he was for both of us. He and his wife both trained in Boston, and he said it was the best 3 years of their life. 


I anticipate the same. I'm ready for an adventure, a new challenge, and a place to make lasting memories. We might only be able to afford an apartment the size of our current bathroom, but I don't think we'll ever regret moving to Boston. We're going to live it up.


In other news.... looks like I'll be running another marathon! After submitting our preference and ranking Boston #1, I said to Blake- "If you match into Boston, I'm running the Boston."  The Boston Marathon has always been a dream of mine, and my last race qualified me to run it. So then, being a woman of my words I'll apply for registration to run either April 2013 or 2014. 


Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who have shared in our excitement! I have been blown away and overwhelmed by the love, joy, and excitement from others. We even had one friend leave work when he got the news and ran home to tell his wife. It means so much. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Blake and Julie! It sounds like a dream come true! All the best to you in Boston and you know I will cheering for you all the way from Atl on the day of the Boston :)
    -jodi

    ReplyDelete