Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fresh Basil Pesto

Have I mentioned our garden has exploded? Our garden has exploded. I had to do something about it and use the herbs while they're in their prime, so I made pesto!

Pesto is pretty simple to make, and it's delicious with pasta, chicken or fish, or on a grilled sandwich.

Fresh Basil Pesto
2 1/2 cups fresh basil
1/2 cups fresh Italian parsley
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more for tasting
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
*the recipe also called for 1/2 c. pine nuts, but I left it out because I wanted to give some to my mom who is severely allergic to nuts

Rinse and clean herbs. Put all ingredients (except for parmesan cheese) into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and somewhat thick. Pour mixture into a medium size bowl, and fold in parmesan cheese. You may want to add a few more squirts of lemon juice, then stick it in a jar and store in fridge or give as a gift :)



No comments:

Post a Comment