Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oyster Roast

Before moving down to Savannah, we knew nothing about oyster roasts. But oh. my. goodness. We look forward to it every year now.

Every spring, the Hogans host a big party at their house on the marsh and invite all the Mercer students. They serve up a feast of over 500lbs of oyster, and it's a blast. Huge trays of oyster are pulled out of a vat, and then dumped directly onto a wooden plank resting on top of trash cans. People crowd around the tables and eat those babies as desired-- plain, dipped in cocktail sauce, doused with hot sauce, or coupled with a cracker. There are holes carved out above the trash cans, so that you can chuck the empty shells straight into the bin. I wish I could eat every meal this way...


the set-up

Tools to help crack open the shells

First batch being dumped onto the table

And have-at-it! The older couple to the right kept feeding me the oyster they opened, and I happily obliged to eat them ;-) They were such a funny couple. I loved that she was sporting a pair of chucks (I have the same shoes in my own closet)

The party went well into the night... the oysters just kept coming.

Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment